My first tasteofhome.com submition

This whole “I Can Eat This” thing is a lot easier than I thought. Apparently I was even more of a healthy/clean/low sodium eater than I actually thought. 90% of everything in my refrigerator, freezer and pantry constitutes what I should have in order to meet “Dr’s orders”. The other 10%? It’s my husbands trash food as I call it.

Tonight on the menu I knew would be Sweet Italian Sausage with the shiitake mushrooms I bought over the weekend, I just didn’t know what I was going to do with them yet. I glanced over the pantry and the fridge a few times before concocting a yummy smelling and delicious looking new dish for us to try. This is also the first recipe I’ve created that I’ve been daring enough to submit to tasteofhome.com.

 

Sweet Italian Pork & Penne

  • 1 Package low-fat pork Sweet Italian Sausage (I used Hannaford brand)
  • 2 Vine ripe tomatoes
  • 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
  • 1/2 medium sweet onion
  • 1 large red bell pepper
  • 3 tbs natural organic low-sodium tomato sauce (I used Nature’s Place)
  • 1/2 cup green onions (diced)
  • 1 tbs olive oil
  • 1 cup whole wheat penné pasta

*Directions: Cook pasta as package instructs, drain and set aside. Put olive oil in large skillet, turn on stove to medium-high heat. Dice onion, place in skillet, stirring to coat in olive oil. Peel casing off of sausage, crumble into pan, mixing well with onions. Chop red pepper, add to skillet. Slice tomato, add to skillet. Mix well, turn to medium heat. Let cook for 3 minutes. Add shittake mushrooms and green onions, cook for another 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, turn heat to simmer, mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Then add pasta, mixing well. Let cool, then serve.

Serves: 4 people

Per serving: 240 calories; 17g carb; 13g fat; and 15g protein.

Advertisements

Posted by

Photographer. Writer. Fit mom. Athlete. Trainer/Coach. Nutritionist. Heavy lifter. Yogi. Pit bull mom. Outdoor enthusiast. Food lover. 1st Phorm Legionnaire.

Got a comment? Post it here!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s